Cotswold Daffodil - Part 1
Updated: Sep 24, 2021
Using similar materials and techniques as my previous two artworks, Cotswold Daffodil is almost ready to upload to my website.
The base was created using a collage of stitched fabrics with different fibres and textures. Grass stems were couched into place by winding embroidery yarns onto my bobbin. Coloured 3D medium was added and heated. The background was then painted in shades of green and yellow.
The dandelions took the longest time! There were so many ways of doing them it was difficult to decide, but I did enjoy playing with different materials and techniques. I tried making them with needle-punched wool fibres to begin with.
Wire was couched down the middle of the leaves so they could be bent into different shapes. However, they seemed a bit too dark and have - will definitely use this technique for something else though! After experimenting with different materials (felt, tea-bag paper, distorted polyester), I decided that the best technique for this work was heat distorted polyester. I also made a few holes to make the leaves look for realistic.
The daffodil leaves were applied using the same method as in Cotswold Snowdrops with appliqued dyed silk. A mixture of fibres was then free-machined at the base before deciding how and where to apply the dandelions.
The next stage will be covered in Cotswold Daffodil Part 2.
Visit https://www.suebatemantextiles.com/blog/cotswold-daffodil-part-2 for the completion of this artwork in Part 2!
HIGH RESOLUTION LIMITED EDITION GICLEE PRINTS OF THIS ORIGINAL ARTWORK ARE NOW FOR SALE FROM MY ETSY SHOP:
They are also available from the Big Cartel at: https://suebateman.bigcartel.com/product/cotswold-daffodil-limited-edition-giclee-print
#CotswoldDaffodil #suebatemanartist #suebatemantextiles #CotswoldArt #natureart #cotswoldart #cotswold_daffodils #textile_art #applique #3D_applique #heat_distorted_polyester #fabric_collage #machine_embroidery #fibre_art